Workin it all out.

Wow, the last few months have been challenging. I will not go into detail, except that God has been so faithful in all of it. To add to what I talked about with Glowing, spending time in God's presence, I started to do a walk and talk... I walk around my block (.9 miles) and talk to God. This is yet another attempt to start something that I have started and stopped for months, working out. I have been going back and forth for months now about reading more in my bible. I would read, and not be inspired by anything, then I would read and it was like God slapped me in the head and said "der!" (For some of you, I am interested in starting a support group...) Anyway, God just did it again! As I sit here massaging the spot that got "hurted" I notice this portion of scripture:

Philippians 2:12-18
12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold out[a] the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. 17But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.


It seems strange to me that this verse is so often used to justify sin. People will say, "Oh I am just working out my salvation" then going on and trying to earn salvation. Reading it in context, it reads differently. The verses before talk about Christ's attitude and being humble. He was God and yet he didn't flaunt it. So many Christians use Jesus' blood as a flaunt to continue sinning. They think that "all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved" means that they can abuse it. They live however they want, getting drunk, doing drugs, having sex outside of marriage, shaking up with people, getting divorce because of the wrong reasons, the list literally goes on for a long time.

And yet, Paul and Timothy write, "Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling" (v.12b).

What we miss so often is the next verse, verse 13... "FOR IT IS GOD who works in you to will and to act according to HIS good purpose" (V.13)

Our salvation on God's side is already decided... God paid the price and redeemed us by the precious blood of the Lamb, Jesus. What it becomes then, is a decision on our part to constantly line ourselves up (or work out) how we respond to that salvation offer. We have to approach it with a healthy fear of God.

The next couple of verses offer more insight on how to work it out. "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and PURE, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation in which you shine like stars."

Our responsibility is to follow the example Christ gave us, be humble. In so doing, we need to not complain or argue. Even if the argument seems like it is good, we need to not be baited into the trap of argument. Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.

Our time spent with God should allow us to glow, and we become like stars... Not SO bright that people can't look at us, but just bright enough to give them light and hope. That Light and hope is Jesus Christ.


Think about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Psalm 52:12