Anointed and Appointed,

1 Samuel 16:6-13
6 When they arrived, Samuel took one look at Eliab and thought, "Here he is! God's anointed!" 7 But God told Samuel, "Looks aren't everything. Don't be impressed with his looks and stature. I've already eliminated him. God judges persons differently than humans do. Men and women look at the face; God looks into the heart." 8 Jesse then called up Abinadab and presented him to Samuel. Samuel said, "This man isn't God's choice either." 9 Next Jesse presented Shammah. Samuel said, "No, this man isn't either." 10 Jesse presented his seven sons to Samuel. Samuel was blunt with Jesse, "God hasn't chosen any of these." 11 Then he asked Jesse, "Is this it? Are there no more sons?" "Well, yes, there's the runt. But he's out tending the sheep." Samuel ordered Jesse, "Go get him. We're not moving from this spot until he's here." 12 Jesse sent for him. He was brought in, the very picture of health— bright-eyed, good-looking. God said, "Up on your feet! Anoint him! This is the one." 13 Samuel took his flask of oil and anointed him, with his brothers standing around watching. The Spirit of God entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life. Samuel left and went home to Ramah.

We all know the story of God judging the heart...

In fact, the story comes from this portion of scripture. However, as I was praying and pondering this scripture today, I was realizing something very exciting. I'll get to that in a minute. We see in the story that Samuel, while eating with Jesse's family calls Jesse's sons. Jesse sends almost all of his sons up to the prophet. As the typical exegesis goes, Samuel's like "this has to be the guy" and God is like "nope." This happens a few times. All of them are not selected by God to lead his people. One could look at the life of David, the choices he made, and wonder why God was choosing to use David, but God Himself said that David was a "man after His own heart." Here is where it gets interesting. God has been showing me over weeks that I have placed far too much focus on my "purpose" and my "ministry." What God was telling me was that I need to obey, rather than think about what I am meant to do. Here's the exciting bit, as I prayed about it more, I realized this important truth:

Often, we don't realize what our purpose is, it takes God to reveal what HE CREATED YOU TO BE.

David didn't know his purpose was being the King, he focused instead on being a good shepherd to his father's sheep. He focused on obeying God. He was asked to take care of the sheep, so when a Lion and a Bear came to take the sheep, he stepped up and dealt with it. What are you doing right now in Ministry? is there a disconnect between what you see God calling you to and where you are now? If so, just obey God, He'll get you to the right place. I am playing bass guitar right now, but I know God is going to use me to pastor people. I don't see a "place" for my ministry in that way at the present, so instead of getting caught up in making it happen, I choose to obey and align myself with God's will...

Selah

When we do that God looks at

us

and says "There's someone I can trust " and begins to move

Heaven and earth

to get you there.

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus