Desperation

Proverbs 2:1-9
My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you, 2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding; 3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, 4 If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; 7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; 8 He guards the paths of justice, And preserves the way of His saints. 9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice, Equity and every good path.
In the past I have read these words with a flawed understanding. At the beginning it says "if you..." and I always thought that if you did just one of those, then you would begin to have the knowledge of God (v. 5) As I read it today, I start to understand that it is a Quantitative process. Adding and adding and adding until eventually you have added so much of God into your life you just get it. You start with receiving the words, then the next step is to treasure the commands and thusly: incline your ears> apply your heart to understanding> CRY OUT FOR DISCERNMENT> lift your voice for understanding> seek her as silver> search for her as hidden treasure. THEN you start to understand the fear of the Lord which is the beginning of wisdom. Where I struggle is getting to the point of crying, lifting my voice for understanding seeking it and searching for it. This kind of desperation seems all but lost on the church. I was raised with Seek God, seek is his face, treasure Him, but to seek that kind of wisdom with that kind of desperation? No. When I was raised it seemed more of kind of a "well it might be God's will." But I ask you, would God be a good God if He simply had his will and never responded to his children? If he loved us enough to send Jesus (and he did), why do we as Christians give up so early on the breakthrough we so desperately want? Whether a Job, a loved one that is in trouble, financial difficulties, all the stuff we struggle with can be solved by a word from the Master's mouth. Today, I challenge you to fully express your heart, your yearnings, your desires to our father. He won't be shocked by them, he already knew them. He built you the way you are, he's watched as you have made choices, some that made him happy, I am sure like me some that have made him sad. All in all, HE KNOWS! He is God! He can change anything in your life with a word, but the question is how badly do you want it? The Most unsanswered prayer is the one that is never prayed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus