Change

My wife and I were chatting this morning before I left for work. During the course of the conversation, we were talking about a friend of ours. As we were talking, we were talking about the attitude of the person in specific and how the person seemed very "off" lately. As we were talking, I came to the understanding that not everyone likes change. But as I prayed more, on my way to work, God gave me a revelation that was very cool! He told me, "If you are not liking change its because you are stuck in your ways."

WOW!

So what God was telling me was that as human beings, corrupted by sin as we are, we want to stay the same. Now it says in Malachi that God doesn't change, but if you look in the bible, there are literally hundreds of times that God changes circumstances. The way I usually tell people is: "God doesn't change, but He AUTHORS change." So in essence, God was saying to me that if we are not liking the idea of change its because we are not growing enough.

Selah

Change is a process by which we change our environment. Pastor Gordon pointed this out over the weekend. He talked about how he was visiting a church in Calgary, Canada. He said that there was a river that some of the locals had said froze over in the winter. The river was so frozen over that people could ride snowmobiles and even drive their cars on the ice! Pastor Gordon said that as he was thinking about that, God spoke to him and said "To change behavior, you have to change the environment." Then Pastor Gordon went on to say that people don't drive their cars on the river now.. why? Because the environment isn't right.

Where we are planted sometimes only allows us to grow very little... (see my devo's called "tators" and "another helping of tators" for more.) We must understand that when we are not allowing nutrients to reach deep down into our souls, from the Holy Spirit, we can very easily become stagnant. God told me once, "if you aren't living you're dying," and if you are dying, your attitude becomes such that you are quick to point out the mistakes others make and get very defensive about any mistakes someone calls you out on. You also get very touchy with even the slightest change in the environment. Your boss asks you to send daily updates, at 9:30am instead of 10am; your wife asks you to help out with the dishwasher without having to be told. Your parents ask you to mow the lawn every Saturday instead of just whenever they ask. Simple changes that really, if we are honest, don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things become a tipping point of anger, negative speech, or slander.

SO today, I leave you with this thought.
If the idea of change is bothersome, it is time to change.


Selah

~Pastor Sam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus