Making a Salvation-Garden free of weeds

19-21Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. God's righteousness doesn't grow from human anger. So throw all spoiled virtue and cancerous evil in the garbage. In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.

22-24Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.

25But whoever catches a glimpse of the revealed counsel of God—the free life!—even out of the corner of his eye, and sticks with it, is no distracted scatterbrain but a man or woman of action. That person will find delight and affirmation in the action.

26-27Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.

James 1:19-27, The Message

This portion of scripture is tough, because there is SO MUCH HERE! For starters, James writes and says make it clear, post it everywhere... "Lead with your ears." Somehow that image is a bit funny to me. Mostly because in my minds eye, I see people walking with their ears forward. But in reality what James is saying is that its more important to listen to God and THEN do something. Most often, we have this problem where we want to do something spiritually FOR God, THEN listen as He praises us, "Oh Sam, you did such a wonderful job, great work. I really needed your help!"

NO! God doesn't need our help... Let me let that sink in for a second. God doesn't need your help, or my help, or anyone's help. He's GOD!

While I am making you panic in your seats, let me reel you back in by saying the following: God WANTS your help! He longs for you to be involved, but He's such a good God, He wants you involved on HIS TERMS! His terms are actually way better than any we can come up with ever! Problem is, when we begin using our own terms and using our tongues instead of our ears, we tend to get into trouble. God wants us to avoid that by listening instead, then doing after we know what He wants from us. By acting before listening, we are allowing weeds to form in our Salvation-Garden.

The only way to really pull up the weeds is by "circumcising the ears"(to quote Bishop T.D. Jakes)! By getting ourselves to the point where we do not listen to anything or anyone when they do not align with God and His plans for our lives.

Another major thing that James says is "don't just be a listener(paraphrased)." Be a doer... You may have noticed that this is the complete opposite of the first weed I mentioned. We can also take the stance of waiting for God to speak, then just waiting and waiting and waiting and never doing anything with what He said to do. What if Jesus had just said, "Ok Father, You want me to sacrifice myself for everyone ok. What else?" and just sat there in his prayer time praying and seeking God. At what point does it sound absurd? James goes on to describe the absurdity of the picture. He likens it to when a person looks in the mirror and goes away and not only forgets what he looks like, but also who they are! That's another weed while we are at it...

We can also run the risk of just listening and allowing fear to paralyze us to not acting on what God wants, when God wants it.

In my life, God told me at 17 that I would be a pastor. I pushed it away because I didn't think it was possible. I allowed my fear of one aspect to keep me from doing ANYTHING AT ALL. Now, I am finally coming back to it, and even though I don't pastor a church at the moment, I know that God has it mind for me, and when I am ready and he's ready, it will happen. We do know some things that God has told us to do. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and strength.... and Love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:37). Another is to "Go into all the world and preach the Good news to all creation." (Mark 16:15).


These weeds, when in growth, can paralyze, strangulate, and even kill Christians. I urge you friends. examine your hearts, re-read this portion of scripture and uproot any weeds of religion, or hard ears or hard hearts. May God give you the strength to do what needs to be done in your life and the wisdom how to do it..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus