Understandable, or is it?

Psalms 14:2-7
2 The LORD looks down from heaven
on the sons of men
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.

3 All have turned aside,
they have together become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.

4 Will evildoers never learn—
those who devour my people as men eat bread
and who do not call on the LORD ?

5 There they are, overwhelmed with dread,
for God is present in the company of the righteous.

6 You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor,
but the LORD is their refuge.

7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the LORD restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!


This makes me think. This verse is very clear when it says that God "looks down" for nay who can understand. In David's defense, it would be pretty depressing to look out and see that NO ONE is seeking God.

I have had times where I look out and ask the same thing, "where are the people who actually seek God?" Getting caught up in a place that is not mine, the seat of judgment. My life has been hard at times and because of that, I feel that I have the right to take the position of God and judge people? At church yesterday I was struck with this thought as the pastor sat sharing that we are not to judge people, but I think what David was saying was a way for him to spur himself.

Sometimes the tendency is to judge people because of how hard our life is, "oh they have it so easy compared to me." Or like David said in a different Psalm (15 i think), "how long will you forget me oh Lord?" essentially telling God that he was seeing evil men prosper while he wasted away in obedience.

The attitude carries over into the church, the people of God begin to judge and heap condemnation on people who make mistakes. When a brother comes to you pastors and says he's dealing with a sin issue, any issue, whether great or small, treat him with respect, don't share the story with the staff, or the board, pray with him, let him know what God thinks, but let him know that God still loves him. it is VERY HARD, because you feel sometimes like its not making sense and they don't change! I had a friend who walked away from Christianity and, like the prodigal son, walked away right standing to experience what the world was telling him was "fun." After I found out, I kept him accountable, in love, and kept on loving him through the problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus