saving money, saving sanity.

My wife is one who loves to save money. I am a spender.
Naturally, we clash on a lot of points in life, but one thing she got me hooked on is debt freedom.

Biblically, I can point to many different points in the bible where it talks about being wise with money, being good stewards, and giving.

But what about debt? There's a fun little verse in Romans where the writer says "let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another." (13:8). Immediately, my mind goes to forgiveness, but just after that God seems to have reminded me that we need to work on being as debt-free as possible. Now as a young couple, we had a few. Nowadays I think it is much easier to get into debt for longer periods of time.

A car, a house, student-loans; shoot, you can even get into debt at Walmart, Target, or Verizon. The idea that you pay cash and buy something outright has gone out the window on many conventional things! So much so that people started demanding that rather than get a discount on their phone, we pay monthly and have a lower monthly balance. Imagine that, rather than take the hit now and pay a lot upfront, we would rather take the pain slowly over 5,10,15, or 30-50 years.

On the one hand, I completely understand the companies that offer this option. While it is a hassle to set up initially, all the paperwork, the collections, issues with legal... But they have a guaranteed revenue stream for a long period of time and can milk it for every cent. Then they throw "features" that cost more to the consumer and instead of picking up a Snickers bar at the grocery line, we are picking up extra data in the checkout at our cell phone upgrade.

As unfashionable as this idea is, debt freedom is something that my wife and I have strived for. Financial freedom is not easy in this day and age. For 6 short months, we tasted it. and it tasted good. 

But then we bought a house. Mortgage, Insurance, Mortgage insurance (yeah, I know crazy), we became inundated with owing money.

Then the roof needed to be replaced. I was up against a wall. I had to make a choice, deal with the costs, hope that my roof didn't leak and create mold in my attic space, or get it replaced. I chose the latter. It set me and my wife on a course of craziness for the better part of 2 years. I got a second job, was offered a 3rd job, and eventually voluntarily accepted that and a very, very part-time gig as a consultant.
We paid the roof, took me less than a year working 7 days a week, to pay off that $18,000 bill. Then there was another bill, and another, and another. Until finally, we managed to stay afloat precariously on what we have, some tiny sunlight to wiggle with, and the promise that my 2-year saga of 80 work weeks was coming to an end.

Then the cable bill changed in prices. We finagled a way around that and accepted the two dollar a month price hit. But it got me thinking about money again.

Be willing, Show up, No complaints


As I think back on the 20 years I have been in the labor market, I can reflect on 3 things I did that made me extremely desirable to employers. They also apply quite well here too.

1) Be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams financially, spiritually, and relationally. Financially, since that is the target of this post, if you are willing to go out and take on another job that will take you far. Keep in mind one thing, you must be willing to structure and organize your life extremely well. That means, in many cases, you will sacrifice your short-term fun for long-term freedom. As Dave Ramsey puts it "Do what others won't now, so you can do what others can't later."

2) Show up every time you are scheduled. Show up on time. Whenever you are scheduled show up and be ready to pour your heart and soul into it. Going back to the structure and organization, I recommend making one job (if you have more than one) the highest priority. Meaning you give preference in scheduling to that. For example, my primary job covers all my bills, the others meet the extra needs. Thus I focus my time and energy on that job. If any other job encroaches, I push it back and tell them I work another job, sorry I can't help you. Pick a job that you either get the most money from or the most fulfillment from and make that your primary job. Schedule everything else around that. Show up to all your jobs, none-the-less. My dad says the Marine Corps. motto is "Being on time is 15 minutes early." that means if you show up at the time you are supposed to work, by the time you are prepared to actually work, you are "late."

3) Finally, No complaints. Do whatever your work asks you to do with a good attitude. I did that. I showed up, and my work rewarded me by promoting me and giving me pay-raises I didn't ask for! That always helps.

Doing what others won't without complaints will set you apart as someone who people like, showing up will set you apart as someone who is reliable, and being willing shows that you have the capacity to learn and grow and are putting everything you have into this. That engenders trust and shows character!

If you have any questions, please reply to this blog or email me at sam.warren@gmail.com for advice!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analyst's view of Luke pt. 3

My daddy

Lead like Jesus